Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why Bother with Mother's Day?


Proverbs 31 - Kinetic Typography from Jeremiah Warren on Vimeo.

Mother's Day rolls around once a year.  What exactly is this ritual?  What purpose does it serve?  In a society that increasingly looks down on motherhood, despises the covenant of marriage, spurns the blessing of children, and destroys the distinctions both physical and occupational between men and women- why bother?  Is this another leftover from the Christian feast of our forefathers?  Is this just one more bloom from the springtime of Christianity that simply hasn't yet been successfully scorched by the humanistic heat of the Marxist summer?  I think so.

Because, really, if we don't like motherhood, why do we celebrate it?  Or is it really motherhood that we're celebrating?

"Even bad men love their mommas."



We all know that it is a good thing to have a day for recognizing all of the vastly under-appreciated labor that mothers do for their children, to step back, look at all of the little and insignificant things that our mom did for us that seem so small in themselves but amount to a staggering collection, and to say "thanks, Mom!"

Do we see beyond the simple (precious) fact that our mothers love us, anymore?  Do we see the immense power that lies in the hands of faithful mothers?  Do we fully understand the earth-shattering ramifications of the well-worn adage that "the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world"?  Do we treasure the awesome calling of running a home?

Our world downplays this calling.  "Housewife" is now an insult, and "stay-at-home mom" means "lazy slob" or perhaps "abused weakling."  We celebrate Mother's Day, but not because motherhood is awesome.  We just happen to like our moms.

I hope that we as Christians see more to motherhood than just "thanks, Mom."

Dad has often said that women (as mothers) are "one generation removed."  While the men are pressing God's Word into the city gates, the women are at home, raising the next generation of leaders to do the same.

Somehow we see this as so derogatory- so shameful- so second-class and subservient.

That's a humanistic thought that needs taken captive.

(This statement, by the way, is not meant to downplay the roles which men have in the raising of the next generation, nor which women have in here-and-now discipleship pursuits, but rather to point out a pattern that we see in Scripture- in Pr. 31:23 and 26, for instance.)

Often, when I hear the power of Godly womanhood extolled, I feel like we are doing it simply to placate the latent feminism that rears its head when Biblical gender roles are discussed.

Not today.  I ain't placatin' nothin'.

Godly womanhood is powerful.  Immensely powerful.  Motherhood- the simple act of bringing a living being, a soul, a person created in The Image of God, into this world- is a gift and a treasure.  To be so intimately involved in the shaping of the next generation is an opportunity that no social worker, schoolteacher, nanny, or babysitter can ever dream of having.  The power that rests in the hands of mothers across this nation dwarfs that of any government agency or media enterprise (even in spite of our best efforts to relinquish that power to the state via the school system).

This nation needs more women who will forsake the lies of feminism, reject the opinion of a godless culture, and come home.

This nation needs more women who will pour themselves into raising the next generation for Christ.

This nation needs more women like my mom.

I spoke above about how important it is that we have not just an appreciation for our mothers but a deep passion for the power of Godly womanhood.  While I do believe this, it in no way detracts from the importance and value of recognizing the one mother that God has given to each of us.  Mother's Day is a great opportunity to do this- to "arise and call her blessed," and to respect and acknowledge the massive amount of labor and love that our mothers have poured into us.  In that vein, I want to praise my mother in the city gates a little bit, here.  :-D

Here are three of the biggest things that I admire in my mother, and wish to apply to my own life:
  1. Faith - Scriptural submission in a marriage relationship is not a simple matter of a wife gritting her teeth and begrudgingly following the lead of her husband.  Some of the biggest decisions in our family's history, some of the most scary leaps of faith that Dad has led us to, were opportunities for Mom to do this- to react in fear or stubbornness, to resist or remonstrate.  She didn't do this.  Her confident, supportive attitude towards my father throughout these times is a legacy that I treasure.
  2. Frugality - Mom's ability to stretch a penny is legendary in our circles.  For some people, careful spending might seem shameful ("You shop at GOODWILL?" followed by a shocked expression).  Not in our house.  In our house we have a name for penny-pinching- we call it good stewardship.  Mom's a master at it, and it has been a major asset to the family over the years.
  3. Depth - I asked my sisters for some of the things that they admired about Mom, and when they said this I realized how true it was.  Mom has never been concerned about what other people think.  This has, perhaps, its fullest ramifications in the simple fact that Mom embraces her calling as a homemaker, wife, and mother wholeheartedly and vigorously- in the face of a culture that despises everything that she stands for.  Her desire to please God rather than man has allowed her to support Dad even when friends and relatives thought he was crazy.  This depth of character also manifests itself in smaller ways.  No matter where it comes out, though, it is a blessing.

Oh, and it sounds trite, but she's an awesome cook, too.

Long story short, if an excellent wife is worth far more than rubies, then my Dad is a rich man.

Thanks, Mom!  I love you.  Happy Mother's Day.  :-)

20 comments:

Corey P. said...

Love it. Great thoughts, Gabriel! Also, just gotta say... awesome pic. :)

Perry said...

Awesome, Gabe! :)
Thanks for the strong stance!

Ana R.W. said...

This is excellent! It's always so good to be reminded of the "why?" behind a holiday/celebration.
I loved reading what you said about your mom! =)

Lisa said...

AMEN!! Praise GOD for Godly mothers...with a smart practical side, too!

I am so grateful for my mom and all the things she teaches me and my sisters.

Bush Maid said...

Wonderful post, Gabriel! My Mum is my best friend, role model, mentor, teacher, inspiration and heroine. I love the things you found to praise in your Mum. True mothers - in the Godly sense of the word - are priceless. I am definitely blessed with such a one. If I can ever become half the mother mine is, I would be eternally blessed. :)

Laura Elizabeth said...

Great post, and so true! It describes my mother pretty well, too :D

http://raisinghomemakers.com/2012/sturdy-womanhood-5/
That right there is one of the best things I've read on godly womanhood in general, and of course applying a good deal to mothers.

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Yeah, I know, Corey- what a great shot!

Everyone else- yes, praise The LORD for Godly mothers. :-)

I was thinking as I wrote this post about our responsibility to "arise and call her blessed." Maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy- a Godly woman will raise Godly children who will then bless her- but at the same time, I'm suspecting that part of that is wrapped up in the command to "honor [our] father[s] and mother[s]."

M. Renata Hudelson said...

"Shaun, that was an awesome post."

:)

I could stand at attention for eternity just speaking on the subject of my wonderful Mater.

Even though I didn't read all of it.. I read enough to make me fully convinced that we need a brother's day.

:)

With all my respect,

The one who admires you most. (me)

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Awwwwww... thanks, dear. :-)

Patrick Lauser said...

"To be so intimately involved in the shaping of the next generation is an opportunity that no social worker, schoolteacher, nanny, or babysitter can ever dream of having. The power that rests in the hands of mothers across this nation dwarfs that of any government agency or media enterprise (even in spite of our best efforts to relinquish that power to the state via the school system)."

This could have a whole post of its own!
God has put each mother in a position that that only they can fill. It is physically impossible for anyone else to fulfill that position, and the same thing is true for fathers.

Jordan Strang said...

Very true...
Thanks Gabe!

Perry said...

Okay, just have to know-- Jordan and Gabe... do you guys know each other?!

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Through the internet. :-)

Jordan Strang said...

Yeah... he's right! But if I'm not mistaken, I think I know you, Perry!

Jordan Strang said...

@ Gabriel Hudelson: Are you going to be at VF's food conference? I'd love to connect in real life sometime!

Gabriel Hudelson said...

I, too, would love to connect, however, I won't be at the Food Conference. Sounds awesome, though...

Perry said...

@Jordan: yes you do! I know both of you; it's a small world! :)

Jemimah :-) said...

Wow, great post! I think that in this modern day world lots of teens take what their mothers do for them for granted. We don't take the time to stop and see how much energy goes into what they do for us. It's really sad when we see teens treating their mothers who do so much for them with disrespect. They're so caught up in their lives, and what they are doing that they are blind to what their mothers do. Godly mothers are PRICELESS, I thank God every day for mine, and if I could one day be half a mother to my future children as my mum is to me, then they would have a good mother. My Mum is priceless, FAR above any jewel in the world.
That was a wonderful post you did, I agree with everything you said.

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Rebekah said...

Just got around to reading this. Great post, Gabriel! I'm so thankful that I've been raised so far from the humanistic worldview about women! Praise the LORD that Mom has always taught me what a blessing it is to be a keeper at home!

Loved the video too and you did a great job with the score. :)