Friday, August 7, 2015

Wandering Hearts

Thinking about the dangers that the stereotypical workplace model present to marriage; a married man with a secretary who isn't his wife happily helping and serving him all day; a married woman helping a man who isn't her husband, and being appreciated, and seeing his big vision and hard work; this is a chemistry that God designed to create a powerful reaction, but unfortunately it is not often enjoyed in its proper context- marriage- today.

I'm very happy and blessed that my secretary is Mrs. Bethany Hudelson, and I can be unashamedly in love with her.

But also thinking... the proper Christian response to this and other areas of temptation is not "I love my wife so much that I would never fall prey to such a thing," but rather "I love my wife too much to trust myself with temptation, because I know I am a sinner."

(Not saying that such a situation is inherently sinful, by the way, but rather that it is something to be careful of.)

It is not a sign of loving Jesus more that we feel no need to flee temptation- it is a sign of thinking too highly of ourselves. The stronger we are as believers, the weaker we know ourselves to be.

It is only the grace of God that stands between us- between me- and every depravity of the flesh. I pray that God would be merciful to me, would hold me to Himself, would not leave me to discover just how weak I am without His grace and His Spirit.

"Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall." - 1 Cor. 10:12

No comments: