Monday, February 7, 2011

Joy - What does my Father want me to be doing?

This week, we're moving. We're actually only moving about three miles from our current house, but we are moving, nonetheless. We're packing our stuff- which, for once, is an apt noun for the concept it represents. The schedule is definitely not the normal. Which brings me to my point.

Ps. 37:4- delight myself in The LORD.

Gal. 5:22- a fruit of The Spirit is Joy.

All throughout Scripture there is a gleeful delight and joy that is modeled and extolled for us. Something that I have all too little of.

But it hit me today. When I knew my schedule was going to be thrown off. It wasn't going to be "my day". And I was prepared for it- and so, I was able to enjoy most of the packing process for the day, because I came into the day expecting to have to do things that can absolutely be fun, but that aren't what my ideal schedule would be. I came prepared to obey.

When I focus on what my father and my Father want me to be doing- packing, in this case- when I surrender myself willingly to obedience to God and the authorities that He has given me- I have so much more joy than when I obey because I have to, regretting every moment that I can't spend practicing piano or composing music, or, even worse, wasting time online.

It's a common question around our house: "What does your father want you to be doing?" Sure, sometimes it's used as a club or a cattle-prod from one sibling to another, but it's a good question, nonetheless. We are all in our earthly father's household, and so we are to obey our earthly father as the authority placed above us by our Heavenly Father. And when we are doing what our Father wants us to be doing by doing what our father wants us to be doing, it brings joy!

For those of us who are in our fathers' households, it is pretty easy to know what we should be doing. God wants us to obey our father, our parents, and so what they tell us to do, subject to God's Law, is what God tells us to do. And we couldn't be doing anything better.

Women have this clarity oftentimes for their whole life- obedience to their father turns into obedience to their husband. For us men, we will one day be leaving our father's household and starting our own- and before we do so, we must be prepared to take the responsibility of leading a household in obedience to our Father.

And doing it with joy.

5 comments:

Sir Emeth Mimetes said...

That is a beautiful challenge that we should all take heed to. If we look at each day as an opportunity to have joy in obedience, our lives will not only be exponentially better from that lone fact, but God will bless us as His children living for Him.

Thank you for this post. :)

Rebekah said...

Wow! That was a convicting post! I hate it when my day seems ruined because the plans of my parents change my schedule. Joy shouldn't be stolen so easily! Being prepared to obey is something I definitely need to work on! (It's just such a slow process sometimes!!)


To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah

Brad Petersen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Petersen said...

Amen brother,

Submission is a hard thing to grasp, but we in our lives definitely need to submit to the authority's GOD places us under , we will never be able to lead(correctly) unless we learn to follow the leaders who lead/train us.

God placed us under our parents and He tells us to obey, respect and honor them, he promises us that our days may be long in the land He gives to us if we do. Sounds good to me! now we apply it, thats the hard part, but God commanded it, it's not a suggestion.

I will be following your blog more, very encouraging,
Brad

David R. said...

Amen, our lives are not for us, but we are "ambassadors in chains". We're here as servants, and this is an excellent reminder of our purpose in life: serving Christ by serving others.