Thursday, February 24, 2011

Questionable Films

My mom mentioned that it may be wise for me to mention some of our policies on film-viewing, seeing as how I review films that some may find inappropriate. I praise God for a wise mother!

There is a website at which you may read detailed review about the actual content of many modern releases. This site has been very helpful. However, as the descriptions given are detailed- the profanity is denoted tastefully, but violence and nudity are described as shown in the film- I would recommend that it be used mainly by parents, and certainly with discretion: http://kids-in-mind.com/

I would also like to mention that we like to purchase films that have been edited for content:

http://www.clean-edited-movies.com/clean_flicks.htm

I have also heard good things about Clear-play: http://www.clearplay.com/

The convictions of a household on what to watch and not to watch are ultimately the responsibility of the head of the home as well as of each individual as he walks with The LORD.

In our home, nudity is the big no-no. Language is something that we really don't like, especially when they are irreverent with The Name of God.

Violence is something that my perspective has changed drastically on.

I don't any longer believe that violence in films is bad. Gratuitous, excessive violence, perhaps. But violence is a fact of life, and something that can be used to lend gravity to a subject that requires said gravity. We, especially as men, should be able to handle it.

Usually, anything questionable is first viewed by our parents. I thank God for that shield of our innocence.

There are some things that I want to watch because they are a kind of cultural artifact- The Music Man being one of them!- that I might not watch otherwise. They have shaped our culture and are referenced all the time. Other films have are edifying on the whole, though junk was added for flavor. Blech. Braveheart, my favorite film (which we own edited, by the way), is an example of this.

I desire to remain pure of heart and mind, to take every thought captive, and to be able to learn from the amazing works of art which are great because they conform to God's Order, though they don't obey in every way.

I hope that clears a few things up. Ultimately, let us meditate on things that are pleasing to God. Let us think on the "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy" things. And don't you go watch something, regret it, and blame it on me. :-D

6 comments:

Rebekah said...

The post was a good idea. My parents review questionable films first too and I am so thankful! It is a blessing to have a shield over our innocence! :)

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah

Aubrey Hansen said...

This is a great post. It's wonderful how you firmly but tactfully stated your family's views. As a friend, I admire it; as a reader, I appreciate it. Can't believe I haven't stumbled across your blog until now!

Jennifer said...

I take it that the scene with Braveheart and his wife, standing topless near a river, is edited out of your film. But what about the scene where her throat is slit? Nudity is even more a part of life than violence, and not the same inherently as sex.

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Hmmmm... river scene, yes, and the specific throat-cutting shot is, though the scene is still there.

What are you getting at?

Renata said...

Great review darling!

Going through your old Archives is so fun!

Oh, how wise a brother I do have!

~ Renata

Jennifer said...

I just wondered, since the throat-cut is so awful.