Friday, July 29, 2011

MUSIC - The Rescue


Why a poster from The Rocketeer? That's right... this piece is another one which draws from the style of a film composer that I admire- in this case, James Horner (it also weaves in elements from a certain unfortunately-named but excellent trailer scoring group).

I'm interested in hearing all y'all's thoughts in the comments. There's one thing in particular that I'm not sure that I like about the piece- but I'm not sure that it's necessarily a bad thing either. One of my previewers mentioned it, and my sisters agreed- it's not very consistent in tone. Is that a good thing? Bad thing? Well, I look forward to hearing your answer to that question.

Oh, and I did use a few modes in here- there are touches of Phrygian, and some sweeping passages in Lydian which actually kinda just happened that way. It's really neat being able to recognize it, though- praise God, I'm learning!

Also, I think this piece contains my most sweeping, romantic, Hollywood style big strings theme yet.

So. Here it is.

The Rescue

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Very interesting, Gabe! I really like it.

Jamie T said...

Loved it! Very epic during the last half.

I think I will have to listen to it a few times more to get an opinion on the tones though...

Jessie said...

Heard it a few days ago on FB and LOVED it!

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Well thanks, y'all. That's encouraging.

Rebekah said...

I really liked it! I actually listened to it a couple of weeks ago, but I just listened to it - I was too worn out to pay critical attention to it. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by tone... so I can't say if I think you're consistent or not. I really liked your choice of instruments!

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah