Friday, June 24, 2011

MUSIC - Lydia


My piece for this week continues my exploration of the modal scales.

This one was written in the Lydian mode- hence the title- and, while being included with Phrygia in what I would like to complete as the "Modal Suite", this one is much lighter and less imposing- emphasizing, perhaps, the exhilaration of discovery and the sadness of having to leave what was just discovered, rather than the horror of finding oneself stuck in a hostile otherworld.

The story I'm envisioning: you have just discovered a new world- whether you've fallen down the proverbial hole-into-wonderland or have landed on another planet- and you excitedly begin to explore this new world. Then, as the piece climaxes, you realize you must return home, and while the solo piano ends the piece you think back on what you have seen.

Do you have a better one? Tell me about it!

Lydia - from the Modal Suite

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Very well done! I actually liked "Phrygia" a little better, but this one was really good. I loved the piano in the ending!

I don't know that I'm envisioning a "better" story: It certainly sounded like a new discovery, but instead of being real, the discoverer wakes to find it was a dream and the end, much as you said, reflecting back on the dream. Pretty close to what you said you envisioned, I suppose? :)

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah

Lady Moriah Hudelson said...

Very, Very, Very Beautiful! I really liked the piano piece at the end. Don't worry! You'll be the next modern Mozart! :) luv u 2 much.

~ Moriah Renata Hudelson

P.S.
Your music is very inspiring!!! :)

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Yep, pretty much the same story, really, Rebekah.

I think I like yours better, though.

Nechet Hudelson said...

I think I like this one better than Phrygia.

Great job!

Jennifer said...

LOVE the picture! That's my world right there.