Friday, June 10, 2011

MUSIC - Phrygia

I've recently been learning about modes- scales that are different than the normal major and minor scales that we're used to. (Well, actually, they include the major and minor scales but have 5 others as well.)

So I enjoyed putting the theory into practice. Since some of the modes have a rather otherworldly sound, I think of these pieces as musical journeys into fantastical realms. :-D

The first piece (and only one, so far) is entitled Phrygia.

Composing this piece (in the Phrygian mode), I noticed that this mode seems to remove the bitter-sweetness that occurs in natural minor, leaving only an eerie and dark scale remaining.

See if you can hear the difference.

Phrygia - from the Modal Suite


(Want to read more? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_mode )

7 comments:

Kayla T said...

That has got to be hands down my favorite piece I've heard of yours!

Moriah Renata said...

Sounds kinda like LOTR!

David R. said...

I like it a lot, it has less of the eerie feel that Vindication had (which I liked), and more of a dark feeling. Not bad though at all. Its right up at the top with "white hat-black hat/dark sky". (I simply love that piece, and not because its a western)
Although, it doesn't seem to carry as much tension as Vindication did. it has some tension, but not as much. Still very good, keep up the good work.

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Thanks for the comments, all, especially David- I love hearing your thoughts unpacked like that.

Glandias the Fox said...

Well Gabe, to me, it's just good music.

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Thanks, Joseph. That's encouraging. :-)

Rebekah said...

I'm trying to figure out what that picture is of... Though it seems to fit the music, I still can't identify it...

To the KING be all the glory!
Rebekah